Thursday, October 7, 2021

The Backside of the Desert (War in the Wilderness)


I recall I had the best laid plans -That I thought that I could understand
And they led me to where I’d have never gone
But though I sought my heart’s desire-God used that spark to start a fire
That would cleanse and purify me to the bone.
There are trials that transform a man-There’s a seminary in the sand
God gives a new heart for a heart of stone
Though I thought I knew how to trust-But wandering a wilderness of dust
Teaches us how to discern we’re not our own.

The backside of the desert is a classroom
Where the lessons of the heart come to be known
Things no seminary in the world can yield
On the backside of the desert there ‘s revealed
The battles of the heart aren’t fought alone

There I found my Midian it seems-There I traded all my dreams
There is where I lost and found my self
My faith had so much more to learn-By losing all the things for which I’d yearned
When I realized that God is all my help
For in the desert is a place-Where lessons learned are those of grace
And our values are examined and exposed
Self sufficiency and selfish pride-They come to naught and are cast aside
In Midian our thrones are all deposed

The backside of the desert is a war-room
Where the mind’s transformed  by the glories shown
Things no seminary in the world can yield
On the backside of the desert it's revealed
That the battles of the mind aren’t fought alone

We set our goals and put the stamp-Of God’s approval  then we camp
In ragged tents beneath our privilege
We must abandon every worldly end-God’s discipline is our best friend
For life is found in living on the edge
In every pilgrim path we’ve trod-There is a place where we meet God
In a very special way not known before
A place there in the desert dust-Where we truly have to learn to trust
A place where we need God and nothing more

The backside of the desert there’s a throne-room
Where God’s own Spirit teaches the unknown
Things that no seminary in the world can yield
On the backside of the desert they're revealed
For The battles of the flesh aren’t fought alone
The battles of the heart aren’t fought alone
The battles of the mind aren’t fought alone

Anthony Foster
October 7, 2021

No comments: