Sunday, July 8, 2018

My Portion (O Happy Soul!)


My God, my portion, and my love,
My everlasting all!
I've none but Uou in heav'n above,
None else to answer when I call
You are the sea of endless love
You are my journey’s goal
The circle where my passions move,
You, the center of my soul.

To You alone my spirits fly
With infinite desire;
And yet how far from You I lie!
Dear Jesus, raise me higher.
To you we owe our wealth, and friends,
And health, and our safe home:
Thanks to your name for meaner things,
But you are God alone!

Chorus:
O happy soul! O glorious state of overflowing grace!
To dwell so near my Father's seat, And see his lovely face!
You are my portion and my peace Of your sweet presence I partake
Let your manifest presence never cease! Your children you shall ne’er forsake.

Were I possessor of the earth,
And called the stars my own,
My soul would surely suffer dearth
If you left me alone
Without your graces and your self
I’d be a wretch undone.
You are the source of wisdom’s wealth
You are the only one

Christ is my light, my life, my care,
My blessed hope, my heav'nly prize;
Dearer than all my passions are,
On you alone I set my eyes.
I cannot live contented here
Without some glimpses of your face;
For in your presence I’ll not fear
To stand boldly at the throne of grace.

Chorus:
O happy soul! O glorious state of overflowing grace!
To dwell so near my Father's seat, And see his lovely face!
You are my portion and my peace Of your sweet presence I partake
Let your manifest presence never cease! Your children you shall ne’er forsake.

Anthony Foster
July 8, 2018
Some words after Isaac Watts

No comments: